What is Cardiac Rehab?
The SSM Health Heart & Vascular Care program is designed to help prevent people with cardiac conditions or those who have had heart surgery or heart catheterization, achieve the optimal level of health and fitness. Structured exercise programs are designed to meet individual lifestyle needs and exercise goals. Workout sessions are generally scheduled two to three times per week, based upon each participant’s needs and current fitness level. All exercise sessions are monitored and medically supervised by a professional staff with specific training in cardiopulmonary rehabilitation.
Why do I need Cardiac Rehab?
Whether you are recovering from a cardiac event, experiencing breathing problems, or simply wish to improve your physical fitness, our program offers specialized rehabilitation programs for patients who have cardiac disease. Cardiac rehabilitation is recommended for individuals who have/had:
- Angina pectoris
- Bypass surgery
- Heart attack
- Valve surgery
- Heart failure
- Multiple risk factors for developing coronary artery disease
How do I enroll?
A physician’s consent is required for the SSM Health Heart & Vascular Care program. Our staff will work with you and your physician to determine the most appropriate plan for your individual needs. Based on your diagnosis, Medicare and most insurance plans cover cardiac rehab. Once enrolled in the program, you will work with a caring and knowledgeable exercise specialist. Exercise sessions will be designed to meet your specific needs and goals, and your medical status and progress will be monitored through EKG, heart rate, and blood pressure. Blood sugars, weight and oxygen will be monitored as needed. Daily evaluation and assessments will be made prior to adjustments to individual exercise prescriptions.
Additional Services Provided:
- Phase III Rehab (After graduation from cardiac or pulmonary program, a patient may enter Phase III as a self-pay. Other diagnosis accepted after functional capacity test: Peripheral vascular disease, diabetes, heart failure, multiple risk factors for heart disease, and obesity (BMI>30))
- Functional capacity (Submax stress test or six minute walk test is administered to determine individualized exercise prescription for home program or entrance into phase III program)
- Heart failure consultation
- Diabetic consultation
- Peripheral vascular disease consultation
- Weight management
- Exercise prescription
Our Cardiac Rehabilitation Location